Monday, March 17, 2008

Stand Up or Walk Away

More walking away stories today. Regardless of the other market turmoils today - people from Main Street are still trying to figure out how to deal with being underwater. The You Walk Away folks are getting so much publicity lately they should cut their advertising to $0.

Here are 2 stories from today's SF Gate article -


"It's throwing good money away after bad" to pay an escalating mortgage on a home that's plunging in value, said Army Sgt. 1st Class Nicklaus Skaggs of Vacaville. He and his wife, Tishara, stopped paying their mortgage in February. They signed up with a new company called You Walk Away to help guide them through the multi-month foreclosure process.

The couple paid $455,000 for their Vacaville home almost three years ago, shortly after Nicklaus Skaggs returned from a year in Iraq. Now the home's value has dropped to $290,000. Their adjustable-rate mortgage, which started at about $3,000 a month, has reset twice, climbing to about $4,000.

They have no regrets about their decision.

and

A Discovery Bay man who asked not to be identified said he is "upside down" on his house by about $260,000. Instead of bemoaning the situation, he plans to capitalize on it.

"I refinanced a couple of years ago and pulled out $100,000 and put in a fabulous pool," he said. "Now I've got this fabulous pool and fabulous house, but it's not worth anything. Why shouldn't I be building equity over the next four to five years instead of playing catch-up?"

The man said he has not made a mortgage payment for five months.

"I'm playing the bank game," he said. "I'm playing chicken with them. I already got them to agree to put (the unpaid) payments on the tail end of the loan. What I'm really pushing them to do is to (adjust my mortgage) for the current market value and write off the rest. I'd love (to have it) lopped down to a $450,000 basis rather than $710,000."

If the bank won't negotiate, he'll walk away, the man said.

and why would they make these choices-

"In the long run, I think this is the best financial solution," Nicklaus Skaggs said. "I have to do what's right for my family. I don't care if someone judges me. I certainly wouldn't put my family in a position to lose $150,000 if I can help it."


Any way you look at it - when people realize they do not have to take these incredible losses they banks will suffer - technically. The banks will pass it on to all of us - so basically we are all underwater now, some just more than others.



1 comment:

sassie said...

i have no other choice than to walk away. how is the best way to do it,and when do i walk (time frame). do i need an attorney,in case morgagte co sues me ?